Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Pressing a Piece of Autumn

As you know I have taken the pine cones down from our classroom wires. I have found another thing that is fascinating me and that is the variety and beauty of the autumn leaves.  Isn't it interesting that often the things that are the most fascinating are natural things in the world around us?
Some leaves are so pretty that I don't want them to dry up completely and turn to dirt. I have begun to press and dry some of these ones. Perhaps if you see a particularly beautiful leaf you could preserve it too.
How to Press a Leaf
  1. Select a pretty leaf.
  2. Spread the leaf carefully on a paper towel and then put another towel on the top of it.
  3. Close the paper towels and leaves inside a phone book.
  4. Put the phone book at the bottom of a pile of books and leave it there for a few days.
  5. Open the phone book and take out the leaves. 
  6. Check they are dry then leave them in a safe place away from vacuum cleaners, cats, dogs and pesky brothers and sisters.
By the way you can also press and dry flowers in this way - fuchsias  work really well. I might go and pick a few now!

No comments:

Post a Comment